- Sydney: +61-0283870565
- Perth: +61-0452528095
Upper Mustang Trek18 Days
This 18day Upper Mustang trekking offers you to explore and enchant yourself with the rural trans-Himalayan mountain ranges of Nepal submerged in Tibetan traditional culture.This high altitude trekking will include the trips extending from high desert region of the Tibetan cultural influence to Kaligandak region.
This Upper Mustang Trek is an ideal for tourists craving to experience the exotic beauty of landscapes, the spiritual and cultural experience of visiting thousand years’ old caves, monasteries and local lifestyles and traditions.
The adventure trek of Upper mustang begins from world’s deepest gorge Kaligandaki region into world’s highest regions of Lo-Mangthang Valley that goes through a tree-less barren landscape, a precipice rocky trail up and down hill and geographical glimpses of panoramic Annapurna, Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri and many similar peaks worth climbing and trekking.
Glaciers, alpine valleys, passes and peaks lay sporadic on the trekking route. The Mustang houses are made of sun baked bricks and rock stones. The ancient culture as old as thousand years still sustains and retains its cultural heritage and lifestyle without being tainted by external worldly influence. The four storied majestic palace of Lo-Mathang are living evidences of ancient grandeur of Mustang region. Tiji Festival influenced by Tibetan Buddhism is other attraction for tourists, which falls usually in the dry season. Polyandry is another unique cultural entity of Mustangi people. Mustang region is also regarded as the last forbidden kingdom which was restricted for foreigners until 1991. The local people here call themselves as “Lobas” with their own tribe leader, Jigme Palbar Bist, who is still regarded as King of Mustang for the local people.
Jomson to Kagbeni is the starting entry point for the Upper Mustang trekking, which follows the trail of banks of Kaligandaki River upstream to get to Lo-Mangthang which is the capital of the upper Mustang.
This enchanting 18 days trekking in Upper Mustang welcomes those tourists and adventurers who wish to explore the unbeaten path of treks in this Himalyan region.
- All the Airport Transfers.
- 3 nights’ Accommodation in Kathmandu including breakfast as per the above itinerary.
- Sightseeing tour in Kathmandu as per the itinerary.
- All accommodations in lodges/tea houses during the treks.
- Your standard meals during the Trip with hot tea/coffee in breakfast.
- All necessary paper works, Conservation entry permits, Special trekking permits, TIMS permit and monument entrance fees.
- two night’s accommodation in Pokhara including breakfast :
- Ground transportation from Kathmandu –-Pokhara – Kathmandu by Tourist bus.
- An experienced, helpful and friendly Guide and porters (1 porter for 2 peoples).
- Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transportation and Insurance for the Guide and Porter.
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service which will be paid by your Travel insurance company.
- Sleeping bag, down jackets if necessary.
- All government taxes, VAT and service charge.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport – Kathmandu). You will require 2 passport size photos.
- Your Travel insurance (compulsory).
- Lunch and Dinner while you are in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Your personal expenses.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic Drinks.
- Sweet things like chocolate.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Tips for the guide, porter & driver.
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on including section.
Note- We have not included the international flight to and from Nepal on our 18day Mustang Trek however we offer flight booking to Nepal and return plus world wide on competitive rate so, do let us know when you would like to take the mustang Trek then we will arrange trek with flight included.
Departure for the Mustang Trek: the Mustang Region is restricted Area for trekking so, we need to have special trekking permit to visit in this region and we are authorized company to arrange the trekking permits and all related travel services for the mustang region and there should be minimum 2 person to arrange trekking in Mustang trek so, do let us know when you would like to take the trek then we will arrange departure for the trek on any date that is the most suitable for you:
- Day 1 Your arrival at the Kathmandu international airport (1345meters) : you will be met by our airport representative and transferred to hotel, Evening free and overnight at hotel in Kathmandu. ( A)
- Day 2 Kathmandu sightseeing opportunity: Today we take you to the most beautiful and historic places enlisted in the world heritage Sites: Pashupatinth Temple, a great faith of Hindu devotees; Swayambhunath, a great Buddhist shrine of South Asia; the historic Darbar square, identification of Nepalese art and sculpture; Buddhanath Stupas, one of the largest Stupas in the world and many other that show the great Nepalese mastery of art and architecture. Our team of guides will take you back to hotel to make you prepare fot the next day trip to Pokhara, another enchanting city of fabulous natural beauty. ( A, B)
- Day 3 Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (200 Kilo meter west of Kathmandu)- 6 Hours: We drive along the Trisuli and Mashyangdi River to reach Pokhara, we will see the beautiful river view and the view of Ganesh Himal and Mountain Manaslu as well During the Driving. Pokhara is tourist's paradise with full of natural as well as cultural heritage sites such as lakes, caves, temples of Buddhist and Hindus along with mountains, after 6 hours of driving; we will arrive in Pokhara and overnight at hotel.( A, B)
- Day 4 Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom (2700m.) and trek to Kagbeni- 4 hours: We take the spectacular early morning flight to Jomsom. Just out of Jomsom then cross a suspension bridge and then walk along the riverbank of the Kali Gandaki. The trail is quite barren with craggy rocks and sand and is mostly flat, which makes it very easy going. It is also very picturesque, with views of big peaks all around such as Dhaulagiri, Tukuche and Nilgiri, whilst to the south can be seen the entire Annapurna Massif, overnight at tented camp or guest houses. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 5 Trek from Kagbeni to Chuksang (2900m.)- 5 Hours: Today, we trek right up to the river valley, but we use a combination of the high trail and the riverbank pathways. The trail then widens significantly revealing an endless stretch of sand on the west bank of the river; we stop for lunch at the village of Tangbe, where we come across the first black, white and red chortens that typify Upper Mustang. The little town is a labyrinth of narrow alleys among white washed houses, fields of buck wheat and barley and apple orchards. Nilgiri Peak continues to dominate the southern skyline. Chusang village is only about a 2hrs walk beyond Tangbe at the confluence of the Narshing Khola and the Kali Gandaki, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 6 Trek from Chuksang to Samar (3150m.)- 4 Hours There is a distinct change here, not only in the topography, but also in the culture, lifestyle and people, and the settlements become more scattered, smaller and more basic. The people of Lo or Mustang practice agriculture. Lack of rain and fertile soil, cultivation is carried out in sheltered plots of land, covering the brown landscape with patches of green vegetation. Continuing north, we reach a huge red chunk of conglomerate that has fallen from the cliffs above, forming a tunnel through which the river flows. The trek now leaves the valley and climbs steeply up a rocky alley to the village of Chele. From Chele we climb a steep spur and then continue ascending along the side of a spectacular steep canyon to a pass. Beyond the pass we descend on a pleasant trail to Samar, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D) .
- Day 7 Trek from Samar to Geling (3510 m.)5 Hours: Today, we climb above Samar to a ridge and then descend into a large gorge past a chorten before entering another valley filled with juniper trees. We then cross a stream and after climbing to a pass, we descend along a ridge to Shyangmochen a tiny settlement with a few tea shops. Nearby is Rangbyung, a cave containing stalagmites which have formed in the shape of chortens. The trail climbs gently from Shyangmochen and we enter another huge valley before descending to Geling with its extensive fields of barley, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 8 Trek from Geling to Ghami (3490 m.) via Ghami La (3520m.)- 5 Hours: From Geling the trail climbs gently through fields, up to the center of the valley, passing above the settlement of Tama Gun and an imposing chorten. We then begin a taxing climb across the head of the valley to the Nyi La [3840m]. The descent from the pass is quite gentle and about half an hour further on we come to a trail junction; the right trail is the direct route to Charang, the left trail leads to Ghami. Ghami is a large white-washed village sheltered by overhanging cliffs, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 9 Trek fram Ghami to Tsarang (3620 m.)- 5 Hours: Today's walk is through perhaps the driest part of Mustang. However, the magnificent views of the countryside, from the gentle contours of the north to the rugged mountains in the east and west, are a source of inspiration. Finally, we come to Charang, a large spread-out village at the top of the Charang Chu canyon. At the eastern end of the village are a huge fortress and a red gompa which houses an excellent collection of statues and thangkas, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 10 Trek from Tsarang to Lo-Manthang [Mustang] (3730m.)- 3 Hours: Today, we will spend part of the morning exploring the interesting village of Charang and its large monastery, before setting out for Lo Manthang. We climb gently above the valley to a large isolated chorten that marks the boundary between Charang and Lo. The trail then broadens and eventually we get our first view of the walled city of Lo Manthang. The city has only one entrance so you circumambulate the wall to the gate on the north east corner, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D).
- Day 11 Rest at Lo-Manthang to explore: Rest at Lo-Manthang to explore.
- Day 12 Trek from Lo-Manthang to Ghami (3490 m.)- 6 Hours: We continue your journey on the highland route, crossing alpine meadows before dropping down a steep eroded alley to Dhakmar for lunch. After lunch, we walk through the pretty valley, climb to a ridge and descend from there back to Ghami, overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 13 Trek from Ghami to Samar- 6 Hours: Leaving Ghami we begin to follow narrow winding path until we reach Geling crossing a small stream. On the way we can enjoy good view of the Nilgiri Mountains, deserted landscapes, Tibetan style villages, farming terraces and natural vegetation. From Geling the path turns broader till Samar passing deserted landscapes, natural vegetation, plateau, Tibetan style houses, chortens, mani walls, prayer flags and observe the distinct culture of the local inhabitants. Samar is a small village with terraces, Tibetan style houses, mani walls, monastery, prayer flags and here you find people following Tibetan life styles and traditions, Overnight at tented camp. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 14 Trek from Samar to Kagbeni- 7 Hours: Following a descending path we reach Chuksang crossing a suspension bridge over Kali Gandaki. We walk along the bank of Kali Gandaki with views of natural vegetation and apple orchards, overnight at tented Camp or Guest house. ( A, B, L, D).
- Day 15 Trek from Kagbeni to Jomsom (2713m.)- 4 Hours: Today, our trail passes through the bank of Kali Gandaki passing through Eklebhatti. The trail is windy in the early afternoons. Jomsom is the headquarters of Mustang. From here we can have access to the internet and banking facilities, overnight at Guest houses. ( A, B, L, D)
- Day 16 Early morning flight from Jomsom to Pokhara- 20 Minutes: We will take early flight to pokhara, and check in to hotel and visit the most beautiful city Pokhara , Relaxing Day and overnight at hotel. ( A, B)
- Day 17 Drive from Pokhara to Kathamndu ( 6 Hours): We take tourist bus at 7 AM to drive to Kathmandu and the driving will be fantastic along with many towns and we are able to see the settlements, Rivers, terraces and landscapes, after 6 hours driving we will arrive Kathmandu and overnight at Hotel. ( A, B)
- Day 18 Transfer to international airport for your final flight departure. ( B):