- Sydney: +61-0283870565
- Perth: +61-0452528095
Kathmandu Lhasa Overland Tour08 Days
Explore the exciting 920 km stretch of road by participating in adventurous Kathmandu Lhasa Overland Tour. Visit the cultural city in Central Tibet. Tibet is known as ‘Roof of the world’.
Our expert has devised short Kathmandu Lhasa Overland Tour which lets you explore most of the prominent cities in Tibet including Lhatse, Xigatse, Gyantse and Lhasa in just 8 days. Come and get familiar with the ancient Buddhist culture. Experience the primitive ways of living of Monpas, Lhopas and Moslems. These three are the major sects of Tibetans.
Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland Tour begins with 6hours of drive along Araniko Highway to Kodari. Crossing the Friendship Bridge, reach Zhangmu. Finish the immigration formalities and drive to Nyalam. From Nyalam, explore the vast stretch of other worldly terrain and cross Nyalam, Karola, Khambala and other Passes and drive along scenic turquoise blue Yamdrok Tso Lake. Stop by ancient Tashilumpo, Kumbum and Shera Monastery, and historic Pelkhor and Jokhang Temples. Visit Norbulinka palace and famed Potala Palace and explore ancient Barkhor Market. Kathmandu to Lhasa Tour enthralls us with views of Jugal Mountain, Everest Mountain, Cho-Oyu Mountain, Brahmaputra River and other scenic highlights. Return trip will be through the scenic Lhasa- Kathmandu Flight from Gongar Airport.
- Twin sharing lodge/hotel accommodation during the trip including breakfast.
- All necessary transportation Kathmandu/Lhasa,
- Sightseeing tour as per the program,
- An English speaking Tibetan guide for the tour.
- Monasteries entrance fees.
- Tibet travel permit and Chinese Visa
- Flight from Lhasa to Kathmandu.
- Your food (Lunch and dinner) during the tour-
- All expenses of personal nature,
- Travel insurance and Emergency evacuation.
- In case of landslides extra charge for porters and transportation.
- Anything not mentioned in the included section.
- Day 1 Drive from Kathmandu (1320m) to Nyalam (3450 m) via Zhangmu (2,300 m)150km After breakfast, a luxurious tourist coach will take you from Kathmandu to Kodari. Kodari is located 5hrs far from Kathmandu and linked it is linked with Kathmandu by scenic Araniko Highway. Cross the friendship bridge that is located in China- Nepal border and reach Zhangmu. Complete the immigration procedure and move to Nyalam for overnight stay.
- Day 2 Drive from Nyalam to Lhatse (4050m) 285km Leave Nyalam and drive through the bending road to Nyalam Pass. Enjoy the close-up view of Jugal Mountain. Move further to Lalungla Pass. Enjoy the views of Mount Everest, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Lhotse Mountains and arrive at Lhatse.
- Day 3 Lhatse to Xigatse (3900m) 183 km. After an hour of journey through the barren land, move through series of uphill and downhill path to Xigatse (3900m). This is the second largest city of Tibet. Explore Tashilumpo Monastery and stay overnight in a hotel.
- Day 4 Xigatse to Gyantse (3950m) 90 km Leave Xigatse and head to Gyantse. It is the city with rich historical significance that exists 261km to the southwest of Lhasa. Visit Kumbum Monastery and Pelkhor Temple are places not to be missed while you are in Gyantse.
- Day 5 Gyantse to Lhasa (3650m) 261 km This is a difficult day. We need to pass through few passes. We will cross Karola Pass (5010m) and Khambala Pass (4794m). The route offers scenic views of turquoise blue Yamdrok Tso Lake and Brahmaputra River. Stay overnight in Lhasa.
- Day 6 Lhasa Tour We will explore Lhasa on this day. Shera Monastery, Norbulinka palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Market are some of the major sites that should not be missed. Norbulinka Temple is the summer house of Dalai Lama and Jokhang Temple is the spiritual centre of Tibetan Village. Follow the ancient route to the busy Barkhor market and return to hotel in Lhasa.
- Day 7 Another day of sightseeing in Lhasa We will visit prominent Potala Palace and Drepung Monastery on this day. Potala Palace is the ancient palace that houses private rooms of Dalai Lama. We will also explore large state rooms and chapels. This palace was built in 17th century. Drepung Monastery is one of the largest monasteries in Tibet.
- Day 8 Lhasa to Kathmandu We will take about 2hours of journey to Gonggar Airport. Catch a flight from Lhasa to Kathmandu and return back to Kathmandu.